Monday, May 27, 2013

Wool


I finally finished my first ever knitting project (pictures to come) three weeks ago.  I made a scarf for my friend, Shirin, using a dead simple two-by-two rib stitch.  That gave me all the confidence I needed to start on a never-ending series of scarves for random people in my life until I realised that I was lacking the other essential component.  Yarn.

Technically, the best place that I know of is Golden Dragon Store in People's Park Centre, but it is so inaccessible that I decided to rush down to Spotlight on a lunch break instead.  Because Amanda came with me from work, she got caught up in the yarn buying frenzy and decided she wanted to learn to knit as well.

Now, I'm not the best of teachers and especially not for handicraft.  I've dropped more stitches and frogged things more times than I care to admit.  And I'm ashamed to say that I cried with frustration after my first knitting class because I couldn't even remember how to cast on.  But, despite all that, I'm quite pleased with how far I've come.

I only had the time to take one basic class and after making nothing but squares, I decided to man up and learn everything else from YouTube.  And I'm of the opinion that if someone like me can learn something like this by watching out-of-focus videos, anybody can.  So I said yes, and Amanda bought cheap needles and two balls of yarn.


I, on the other hand, totally went nuts.  As you can see above, there are five scarves in the offing.  I got a nubbly 7mm yarn with a seafoam green sparkle, some extremely odd 4mm black and white ringlets that I'm beginning to regret, two variations on pink for 10mm needles and the one I'm most excited to try out, variegated blue-green mesh.


I also got some hot pink 4mm needles, a set of fat wooden needles in 7, 9, 10 and 12mm and a wicker basket on sale for $13.  I think the basket looks quite sweet tucked next to the DVD collection in our living room.  (Any questionable DVDs don't belong to me.  Except Guys and Dolls.  Man, I own that shit.)    

We had our very first lesson in the middle of a quiet Burger King.  I practised making my instructions super clear and Amanda learned fast, so she was knitting in no time.  I went through how to cast on, knit and tink (Tinking is un-knitting.  Knitters are cute like that).  Along the way, we practised tension and subsequently, we had a purling lesson and a discussion about ribbing and stockinette.

For a beginner like a me, teaching a newer beginner can be a great way to gain information.  I've learned so many new things that I can't wait to try out.

Last week, we had our first "Stitch and Bitch" over breakfast in a cute cafe near work.


I can't believe I literally created a knitting buddy in two hours!  I feel like Dr Frankenstein with a loyal minion!  (Amanda is going to smack me at work when she reads this.)

She's working with some super pretty cotton candy yarn that has blue and yellow running through it.


La Ristrettos is a quaint nook made all the more cool by the fact that it's hidden on the eighth floor of Novena Medical Centre.  I love this idea... hospitals are such horrible places to be, so imagine you've just had your physiotherapy (or lipo) and you're stomping miserably down the corridor, and suddenly, coffee!  And wooden tables and brick walls and trees, oh my!


I first saw this cafe when I was in the sports medicine centre on assignment years ago.  The garden, replete with willows, ponds and wicker chairs, rose out in the middle of the building like a miracle.  Through the plate glass, I could see people enjoying coffee.  I wanted so badly to find it again, and now I have.


The food is all right and the coffee quite tasty, but I would keep coming back just because it feels so much like a magic garden.  For the two hours that we were there, I was completely at peace.


How could you not be zen?  I'm looking forward to many mornings of stitching and bitching to come.  Here's to being grandmas!


PS  As I sat down to write this earlier, I got a frantic call from the above-mentioned telling me that she had knit when she was supposed to purl and couldn't remember how to undo it.  After several instructions, whatsapp photos and a dropped stitch, she made an emergency drive to my house with Ben.  I unravelled and re-knit two rows while they chatted with my mom and it ended up being a very pleasant mishap.

Except when my mom saw me standing behind Amanda giving instructions, laughed uproariously and said, "I can't imagine you teaching anyone how to knit.  You're such a klutz."  Hmph.  I'll have you know she's quite a klutz too.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that anyone in Singapore bothered to knit. [Or that there were specialty yarn stores!?!?] I am a mere beginner, but maybe shouldn't have hidden my needles away so quickly when we moved to tropical climes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha there's a small community of knitters and each time I go online for advice, I find more and more! Goodness knows why - I probably can't use any of the stuff I knit! Do you think you'll pick it up again? Yarn can be pretty cheap :)

      Delete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...