Friday, May 17, 2013

Aesop



Last week, after a swim at Amanda's place, I realised I'd forgotten to bring my moisturiser.  In her usual generous fashion, Amanda let me use her favourite moisturiser, Aesop's Geranium Leaf.  The smell absolutely sold me - deep blend of something fresh, herbal and slightly minty.  People had recommended Aesop to me before, but I didn't know that it was available locally.

Later on, we decided to run out to the Aesop store in Ngee Ann City to do some serious toiletry shopping.  The three things I spend a lot of money on in life are coffee, toiletries and stationery.  I don't wear makeup, branded clothes or shoes and last paid for an expensive purse four years ago, so I spend the bulk of my money on slightly more temporary vices that I use every day.

Aesop has a beautiful corner in Ngee Ann City where they will offer you mint tea and massage samples into your arms.  The products aren't cheap, but they feel so rich and luxurious that I couldn't resist.  

I normally like only two types of smells - fruity smells and dessert smells.  The Aesop scents, however, are reminiscent of the complex bouquet that you get in a spa.  When I close my eyes, I feel like I'm lying on a table waiting for a hot compress to be smoothed over my back.  

And so, I succumbed.


I got the Preen set, which came with four products that I saved over $30 on in all.  The pouch is made of a soft, felted type of material that will look quite dapper in my suitcase, should I travel.

Each Aesop set is blessed with a bird mascot and is put in a printed canvas drawstring bag which can double nicely as a slipper or underwear bag for travelling.


Inside, the lotions come wrapped in soft canvas.


The set came with a Resurrection hand cream and hand wash.  The Resurrection scent is replete with mandarin rind that smells more earthy and grounded than the floaty citrus of its pulp, rosemary and cedar.  The combination is like baked, herbed oranges and it is positively decadent on the hands.  Sometimes, I use it on my feet before I sleep as well.  Amanda got the same hand cream and we spent several bimbotic minutes every day grinning like idiots and nourishing our hands together.  

Since I have no need for such a giant bottle of handwash, I'm using it as a concentrated shower gel, and it works well.

There are also the Geranium Leaf moisturiser I loved so much and a matching body cleanser.


Separately, I got a calming shampoo that breathes cammomile and sage for my problematically dry scalp.  Because I've been swimming a lot and using shampoo away from home, I can't quite tell how well it works yet, but if it turns out to be a miracle product, I'll let you know.


The shop lady plied me with free samples to last me a little while.

You may also have noticed that the packaging is full of quotes and sayings.  That was the last thing that excited me - everything from the boxes, ribbons in the pouches and the walls in the shop is lined with poetry, with insight, with special, thoughtful words that would make for great gifts to loved ones. 

I kept turning up messages as I opened my box.  There was even a poem hidden on the inside of the cardboard where a more excited person may have missed it.  By some miracle, it seemed to speak to me.

I know it probably makes the brand seem more aware and meditative than it actually is, but it works.  It's a gimmick, but once in a while, there are gimmicks worth paying for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...