Friday, May 10, 2013

Scook's Raining Deulopbi tote bags!


My good friend Sook is a fashion designer and in her spare time, she makes quirky things by hand (which you can check out at the Scook Facebook, here.  Right now, she's offering cute Mother's Day Cards).  For Chinese New Year, for example, she customises ang pows and she makes cards for all occasions.  My favourite project of hers though, are these cheerful Raining Deulopbi tote bags that made recently.  

I met with up her for dinner a little while ago and ordered two - one for myself and one as a present.  Each of these babies, believe it or not, is $12.  Because there was a little bit of delay in the shipping, Sook generously threw in a third one!  (So one is going my friend Ann-Marie and the other is going to Spyke, whenever I meet her, as a birthday present.  Happy Belated Birthday!) 


The bags came beautifully packaged and they're limited edition so each one has a number.  I'm not sure how many she has left, but the one I unwrapped is number 50.  

Inside, there's a little card with Scook's information and the number of the bag that you've got.


I love designer bags as much as the next girl, but I'm also a huge sucker for cute cotton totes.  When Uniqlo gave out their totes with all the country names on them (remember those?) I faithfully carried one to work for weeks because it was so fuss-free.  I just think that using a soft cotton sack as a handbag lends a bit of an artsy, rustic air to anything that you're wearing.  Plus, they look nice even if you bash them about a bit.

I have to say that these bags are really comfortable to carry.  The straps are flat and wide enough to sit on the shoulder without cutting and the bag itself is so light that I can tote my DSLR about quite easily.  It's nice not to faff about with straps and buckles sometimes.

The only thing is that the some of the seams on the inside of the bag might not be completely finished (though they are sewn tight, don't worry) so one of mine started fraying slightly.  But I got out my Fray Stop and applied it to the edges and we were good to go!  By the way, I strongly recommend buying a bottle of something similar - you can use it for any handicraft, at weddings and for quick fraying solutions.  This shop is in Singapore so the product will ship in two days.

Thank you so much for the bags, Sook, and for all these years of friendship.  


PS All these photos were taken on the 55mm end of my new long lens.  As you can see, in good lighting, it will do as a 50mm prime equivalent with a lot less softness.  I test drove it at the beach later that day, photos to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...