Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Gratitude list: Constants

If all goes according to plan, this will magically appear while I'm away.  How 'bout that technology, huh?  Even if I'm not around to actually blog, I really wanted to keep the features running and make sure that I'm remembering to be grateful for all the little things that come my way.

1)  Chances

Like most people, I can be whiny sometimes.  But I am fully aware of how many chances life has given me to right wrongs, to go exploring, to just be comfortable in the world.  I don't think of these chances when I'm focusing on the ones I've missed, and that's just too much confirmation bias for me.

Sure, I'm not exactly where I thought I would be, but I've also done so many things I never imagined I would.

I'm so grateful to have been able to travel, and hopefully, in a week, I'll be grateful to have lived to tell the tale.

2)  My new morning routine


It can take awhile to warm up in the mornings and last week, I eventually figured out that it was because I was doing things in reverse.  Normally, I sit up in bed, stare groggily at the bathroom and eventually throw myself into the shower before dragging myself down to the car.  Cue grumpy, sleep-cheated haze for the rest of the day.

Now, before my eyes are even open, I'm downstairs in the kitchen, making a cup of tea.  While the water boils, I give the dog a cuddle.  Then, I bring the tea upstairs, jump into the shower and by the time I emerge, it is at perfect drinking temperature.  I put two or three peppy music videos on youtube (dancey pop tunes are best for this), and I have my (delicious, energising) tea, dance and get dressed all at once.

It works a treat.  My body and mind wake up together and it's hard to feel angry when you're humming your way into the car.

3)  The way a straw wrapper crinkles perfectly off a Starbucks straw (it is half the reason I always have my latte iced).


Because we all sometimes need silly, tactile things to be pleased about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...