Saturday, January 19, 2013

Worn abroad

(I can't remember where I ganked the screen shot from but it isn't mine!)

One of the benefits of having such a meticulously crafty mother is that because I am the only daughter, I am often her beneficiary.  

When my mother first started making earrings, I would draw designs for her on paper.  She would then put them together with her usual trim neatness and care and voila!  A piece of jewellery no one else could possibly own.  

Recently, my parents have been devouring the second season of Downton Abbey and each time I sit with them, I'm floored by the costumes and witty writing.  Finally, I told my mother that I was going to start calling them Mama and Papa and getting a maid to dress me for dinner. 

"Really," I said in my poshest accent, swanning around the coffee table as if I were a dowager, "I don't see why we can't come down in gowns if the Granthams could do it before there was proper sanitation."

My parents chuckled, but when I pointed at the gorgeous jewellery that the Grantham girls wore to match, my mother sat bolt upright and really took notice.  I could see her mind whirring and clicking and I knew I was in luck.

Because see those amazing jet black earrings Sybil is wearing in the picture above?


I now have a pair of my very own.


2 comments:

  1. the earrings are gorgeous shoes! lucky daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you! do you like downton abbey? you seem like the type who might!

    ReplyDelete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...