Monday, November 5, 2012

Remember, remember

It's Nanowrimo Day 5, how's everyone doing?  While I've been on my word count so far, other things are slowly piling up.  I just keep reminding myself to hold steady and avoid turning around to edit.

I suspect that one day in my exhaustion, the story will descend into meaningless mush, but I'm telling myself that today will not be that day.

In the meantime, here are a few things that are making me happy and keeping me sane:



One of my favourite books from my childhood.  It's a story about two kids who are exasperated by their mothers and decide to live at each other's houses over the weekend.  It's funny and sweet, and because I didn't get along very well with my mother when I was a wee lass, she used it to remind me that we had things to be grateful for in each other.  (Now we could not be better friends.  She swung by my workplace today and bought me a cup of coffee and a pair of Crocs.  Don't judge.)
 
See the sticker on the top left hand corner?  That means I stole it from the class library when I was about eleven, and have kept it since.  I'm highly anti-crime but to me, leaving an unloved book on a dusty classroom shelf is a far bigger delinquency than bringing it home to cherish forever.


A delicious fig cake that one of my colleagues brought in to an early morning meeting.  The ripe figs were light, sweet and subtle.


Dinner with my good friend Diana at French restaurant Poulet.  The prices were reasonable and my very sinful Iberico pork belly was a great comfort.  She had a very moist and wholesomely flavoured half chicken.


The cup of coffee that's keeping me going right now.  Not pictured: the very giggly bout of impromptu shopping that followed.  I bought, among other delights, a very ill-advised but much loved fleece poncho (I know, right?) and we slunk around Sephora trying on skincare products and shrieking with laughter when SK II's "miracle water" ended up smelling like feet.  The perfect, low-key evening ended with a long cab ride in the dark where we talked about our lives and our simple hopes for them. 

And now, two thousand words of genius await.

2 comments:

  1. Of course you love the poncho! You totally need it now that it's freezing in New York. :p

    Wow, your camera made our food look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah yes, New York is so cold, I may need another one!

    It felt pretty going down my gullet too :P

    ReplyDelete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...