Sunday, March 30, 2014

The first hundred

via: http://oursoleintent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/just-as-far-etsy.jpg
Last week, I clocked my first hundred kilometres in my new shoes. 

Before this, I never thought about the distances that I plodded - for all I know, I've done thirty or three hundred.  My focus was simply on getting out of bed and getting moving.  Recently though, I decided to start keeping a very simple log in my filofax, just for fun.  

My whole family thinks I'm nuts.  Wei texted, demanding to know who I was and what I had done with his sister.  And I'm not surprised.  I've always hated running.  I hate it every morning that I lace up my shoes and I hate it every breathless, achey moment.  But now, I feel weird without it. 

I slowly and painfully limped, walked, plodded and very occasionally sprinted my way to that first century mark and you better believe I was chanting "Fml, fml, fml," in my head the whole time.  In between, each time I timed myself on my 2.4km run, I felt like I was literally going to die. 

But my feet don't hurt anymore, and I'm probably the fittest I've been since my school days.  I feel much more comfortable climbing stairs and my clothes fit better.  

On balance, I suppose I call: worth it.   

2 comments:

  1. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how habits get formed. Congratulations! :) Remember to replace your shoes at least every year (technically about every 500km or so but I just write down the purchase date of mine and get a couple new pairs a year).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! I'm so thrilled at you, of all people, congratulating me... your blog is my inspiration! (Though I doubt I'll ever run 5km in less than 30 minutes...haha...) And yes, I will keep a much closer eye on this pair so I'm not flopping around again!

      Delete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...