Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What's in my backpack


I love handbags.  Love them.  I went through a phase a couple of years ago where I could name every designer handbag I saw from Balenciaga to YSL.  For a long time, I would stand outside the Loewe boutique in Ngee Ann City, longing to touch the thin, dumpling-like skin one of their Nappa Aires.

I don't have the money to support my addiction, however, and sometimes, when you're straggling between buildings with heaps of worksheets, books and assorted knickknacks, you just want practicality.  In this department, my Dakine backpack works every time.

And for some reason, I love looking at what people have in their backpacks because it tends to be a lot less precious than what people carry in handbags or purses.  I've been toting mine for the last two weeks and here is what I carry in it.


My Dakine (gotta love that colour scheme) is quite a hefty one with many little pouches and hidey-holes for better organisation.  The front pouch on the bag is made of insulator material and you could pop a cold can of coke in there on hot days.  I, however, use it for tissues and unmentionables.  People don't like to talk about pads in such posts but I like to keep it real.


My favourite compartment is the one right in the middle for the sheer number of pockets that is has.  The phone-sized pockets are conveniently foam-lined so that your stuff won't get scratched up and when I travel, I put my passport and valuables in the hidden pouch so that they're protected by two zips.

I'm terribly disorganised so compartmentalising things really works for me, whether in my head or in reality. 


This is the rest of the junk that I keep in the main hold of the bag.  The number of notebooks fluctuates depending on whether I'm making story notes that day.  On weekdays, the padded laptop slip pocket holds stacks of worksheets for marking.  On weekends, it holds my folded exercise gear.

It doesn't look particularly glamorous but I kind of enjoy how tough my backpack makes me feel - like I'm still that teenager who was brought up as a boy, bullied and who felt like she could kick the shit out of anyone who came too close. 

Mostly, I just like having my hands free.

6 comments:

  1. oh boy! I do know handbags - legacy of a summer spent interning at Urban back when it was still part of Life!. (Which means the only handbags I know date back to 2006, but I can still tell a Bottega from a Mulberry.)

    The one problem with a backpack is reaching around to hunt for the phone when it rings.

    Where did you find that marvellous wallet? Mine is from a label called Pylones (don't you just need their chicken bag now http://pylones-usa.com/products/chicken-bag - i mean, CHICKEN BAG) but the rubber zip is falling off, making it a bit less functional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG when you said Mulberry, my heart actually skipped a beat! I didn't know you interned for Urban! Was it awesome?

      And yes, I hear you on the reaching around, not just for my phone but for every little thing I need.

      That chicken bag is something else! (As is everything I've seen on that website so far!) My wallet is a Vera Bradley splurge that I made when I was in the US recently... unfortunately I don't think they carry it here, but that's what Ebay is for! I think my print is called "Indigo Pop". HAHA I almost typed "Indigo Poop" and then I almost decided to leave it there.

      Delete
    2. I interned when I was still a young energetic spring chicken, able to stay up till 3am on Wednesday nights to cover launches and parties and the Hey Good Looking! column. It was equal parts awesome and terrifying (eg: walking down Orchard Road carrying several thousand dollars' worth of samples thinking "I can't lose this, I can't lose this"...and you know all those tiny listings that tell you where to buy X for $Y? - someone's got to write them AND check them ALL.

      Can we get Kim a chicken bag now please? (I just really want to see it accidentally make its way into a CNA clip.)

      Delete
    3. YES yes we must get her a chicken bag that she can put her iphone in and hold up to a Ministers face.

      Also, your Urban stint sounds amazing. I would even do the writing and checking and carrying expensive things down Orchard Road. I remember Noelle had this pair of amazing Louboutins that she got a tiny stain on and they made her keep them. Yes please!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of this brand. I'm intrigued. I'm not much of a purse girl, but I do love a well-constructed, multi-pocket bag! My husband and I are slowly amassing a rather large collection of Timbuk2 messenger bags, which I do love.

    I'd use a backpack more, but I'll be honest - maybe I'm paranoid, but I don't like traveling in busy, crowded places with all the zippers exposed and out of my sight. The messenger has a big 'ole flap that would be much harder to actually get INTO (although the whole thing is easier to snatch). I'm not generally obsessively worried about such things (esp. in Singapore), but they do cross my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either! I was just walking around in a sports store and decided to try it because it was big and I liked the colour!

      Agreed about the crowded places - I don't carry backpacks in public when I travel and my handbag is always tucked safely under my arm. Maybe I've developed a false sense of security in Singapore, though. Oh no.

      Delete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...