Friday, March 29, 2013

Angels in the architecture (Rock and Roots Day 2)


Paul Simon and Bonnie Raitt were amazing, as expected.

 The second day of Rock and Roots was far more crowded than the first, and by the time Priya and I had pushed our way through the crowd and found prickly seats on the grass, we were dripping.  

The music itself was a heavy, sticky blues laced with Bonnie Raitt's sweet-opium song.  I've never really actually listened to her before but it was beautiful to be able to hear the confident, experienced, telling voice of someone who's been there and done that.


On top of that, she was warm, charming and funny and Priya and I found ourselves enjoying the set immensely.

Paul Simon, on the other hand, was someone I had been waiting a long time to see.  Once I was about 12, I found my father's Simon and Garfunkel CD on a shelf and I've been hooked ever since.  When I had ploughed through that catalogue, I started listening to Simon's solo stuff and found myself completely mesmerised.


On the first day of Rock and Roots, I ran into a friend, Suj.  When I told him I was coming back the next day to see Paul, he rolled his eyes and said, "What, you mean Mama Africa?"  I laughed, but I love his African music.  I love all of it. 

The thing that gets me about Paul Simon is that every time I listen to him sing, I feel like he's talking directly to me.  How can you listen to lyrics on songs like America, hear him plead, "I'm empty, and aching, and I don't know why," and feel like you've never once understood just how he feels?

His songwriting is so intelligent and sensitive that each number he played was a story, slowly unspooled by his lazy voice.  Every bit of narrative was a tender surprise, coupled with swooning melody. 

He's not the best, most dynamic singer ever, but the human moments that he captured during his set nearly brought me to tears. 

And of course, Priya and I danced our asses off to You Can Call Me Al.

There was some kind of a Timbre after party, but this is more our speed:


Ice cold drinks at the nearby SMU vending machines...


... and once we've cooled off, we get a cab to Siglap for the real after party at Mas Ayu!  Nothing beats steaming kway teow goreng and nasi pattaya at one in the morning.

Among other news this week, fresh mangoes have been the order of the day for breakfast.


And Amanda's been teaching me to write in shorthand!


It's all lots of fun, but I've just found out that my name in shorthand looks like the word "Pu"!

2 comments:

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...