Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hipster Saturday: Coffee crawl


Last Saturday, I had a (very enjoyable) massively hipster day.  

For starters, I love coffee.  Probably more than it is reasonable to like a non-alcoholic drink.  Would it be a little creepy to admit that I love the way it looks as much as I love the way it tastes?  I particularly enjoy the way it photographs, something you can probably tell if you've been here for awhile.

Even though I know that not many people want to stare at pictures of lattes, I couldn't help but jump at the chance to photograph (and drink, obvs!) artisanal coffee at the Bettr Week coffee crawl.  

The crawl costs about $48 and for that price, you get to sample drinks at nine different coffee places, none of which I'd ever heard of or visited.

My friend Raqvind and I started the crawl at *SCAPE at Somerset.


You get a "coffee passport", a cotton tote (yes!) and a little badge.  Since one of the recommended cafes is located at *SCAPE, we started there.  The Bettr Barista is a social enterprise that occupies a corner of what looks like the *SCAPE office.  The location and the fluorescent lighting are a little bit odd which is a pity, because the coffee is lovely - smooth, fragrant and not too strong or bitter.


Raqvind and I spent the morning cradling our warm cups and sharing a long, heart-to-heart talk.  It's been ages since we caught up properly and since we've both been going through slightly trying times, we were able to lean on each other for a moment and take a much-needed breather.


Eventually, we staggered to our feet and took the train down to Bugis to try Artistry.  I have to say that in the looks department, this cafe wins hands down.


Rustic wooden benches topped with some of the brightest posies I've ever seen lined the outside wall and we were impressed to see that there was still seating space at 2pm on a Saturday.  There was a photography exhibition going on within and it took us a little while to realise that the artwork was themed; people, out in the rain, wandering in cities across the world.  The rectangles on the walls had the effect of windows, as if we were looking out onto cobbled streets, spit-shined by storms.



The barista was wonderfully friendly and answered all our questions about the coffee and his latte art.

The coffee here was deeper and a lot more complex, but while I appreciated it visually, it was a little too strong for me.  I do, however, prefer my coffee very smooth and milky and I'm quite a coffee wuss so I think it will appeal to lots of people.


This pecan pie, though.  Oh, lawks!  It had all the good, roasty, pecan-nutty crunch that any self-respecting pecan pie should have but the molasses below were an entirely different story.  Rich, velvet-soft and shot through with a flavour so dark that I kept mistaking it for chocolate, it was a real treat.  Raqvind and I quaffed the entire slice before our third musketeer, Evi, joined us.


We had a good chat and then decided to call it a day.  For me, it was a delightfully lazy, voluptuous way to spend the early afternoon and luckily, I get to do it again.  This Saturday, the coffee crawl continues with three cafes in the west!

Till then, I'll be hanging out on this tumblr which makes me want to crawl inside my computer screen and roll around in its glory.  Coffee, tea and books photographed and deliciously laid out in morning light?  Shut up! 

I have no idea who runs it, but I salute them. 

4 comments:

  1. Goodness, that's a lot of coffee. Nine (!) cups... I suppose you guys used five this past weekend and will go for another four this weekend? I'd be bouncing off the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha actually I only drank two on Saturday and three the week after! I couldn't really crawl when I had work so I gave my mother my card and she tried a couple for me...

      Honestly though, caffeine doesn't really have an effect on me anymore. The day I had three coffees, I stumbled straight home and took a massive nap :$

      Delete
  2. Grace is reading my mind - that's a lot of coffee! [I say, nursing the cup of kopi I bought at 7 AM...and it is now 4 PM....]

    I have to say - I appreciate a good cup of coffee, but...since moving to Singapore, can't argue with $1 for a strong, kicky cup of local brew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are so funny! I was skimming the comments and did a double take thinking you had made exactly the same one...

      Singapore coffee is such good value for money but it's too strong for me, unfortunately :( I have to drink it diluted with a lot of milk or drink oolong tea in coffee shops instead.

      Delete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...