Monday, July 29, 2013

Washi!


I know.  I know.  I just said I wouldn't buy any more washi tape.  But that was before I found out that the MT Expo was coming to Singapore this week and for special edition tape, I'm going to assume I get a pass.  

MT is apparently one of the better washi brands out there (not that I know any better) and when Amanda and I heard that there was going to be an expo, we decided to go on our day off.  JM, also a massive washi fan, decided to head there with me over lunch.  


While waiting for JM, I wandered around in the basement and realised there was an art exhibition of sorts going on.


The doodles, paintings and photographs were quite lovely, and I enjoyed watching engrossed people wend their way through the racks of paper.


I particularly like the one that looks like a crazy ticker tape roller coaster.  It looks a little Tokidoki-ish and I love Tokidoki.


This couple was ducking in and out of art pieces that covered their heads like lampshades.  They would turn a circle and look at the artwork inside and then stop and sneak a kiss.  It was quite sweet. 

When JM arrived, we headed straight up for the expo, giggling in nervous anticipation.  I will admit, I'd been wondering how in the world a trade fair revolving around masking tape was going to be run.  In my mind, I could hear my saner friends laughing at me.

We wandered into Prints by accident and were briefly disappointed when we thought that the small trays of washi they had on display constituted the whole expo.  The salesman pointed us in the right direction and the moment we turned the corner, we knew it was going to be good.


Every inch of the walls and floor was covered with home decor sized rolls of tape.  There were hollow wooden houses filled with samples and even the paper balls were made with strips of washi paper stuck over a spherical frame.  We kept rounding corners and being shocked by the sheer abundance of tape plastered everywhere.  JM said it was the best laugh she'd had all week. 

People were moving very slowly and politely with shopping baskets through trays of the stuff, but we could see that the special edition tape wasn't going to last long, so we got down to it.



There was tape in every size, colour and description, and just for good measure, there was a sample strip of every design running down the pillars in the room.  There were prints and shapes and tape with cartoonish scribbles and with delicate botanical prints.  Some of the tape told stories of sweet bear and rabbit characters and some showcased tickets, posters and mementos from all around the world.  I was quite taken with a roll of tape that had recipes for pancakes and fruit tart on it.  There was even a bizarre roll with articles about how to use washi tape printed on it.  I imagine that would get old really quickly. 

 I like bright, geometric prints but lately I've been looking for designs that are a little more fine and muted.  I didn't get the beautiful Rafflesia print you see above, but I snagged a special edition roll of animals that has a tapir on it! 

After JM went back to work (nine rolls of tape poorer, might I add), I hung around to meet the source of my washi tape problem.  We spent several minutes debating the merits of moose vs. stick figure tape (I vetoed both; I love meese but these were orange) and she very sweetly gave me one of her free MT tote bags. 


"Is this going on the blog?  You better take a special photo.  With some quality control.  Make sure that I look like I'm touching the balloon with my foot," Amanda demanded.

Yes, Miss Wintour.  Notice also, that the paper bag is almost full. 


I got home that night and deliriously showed my collection off to my highly bemused cousin who kept saying, "Wait so, it's just tape?"  

Yep.  It's just tape.  I spent the afternoon at a tape exhibition.  You just read an entire post about tape. 

And I blame Amanda. 


MT ex, on the fourth floor of Ion, is on until the 11th of August.

4 comments:

  1. lovely pictures!!

    surreptitious snogging v swit.

    how come no zoooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS did not realise you had that pencilkeybird tape until now and I just gave you a free roll of it HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahah but it's one of my favourite ones!! We can treat it as a communal roll for when our first rolls run out :P

      Delete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...