Sunday, January 26, 2014

Let him go


Every year, when Christmas and New Year roll round, I feel mildly stressed by the idea of having to brave crowds and get stranded in inaccessible public places.  Invariably, New Year's Eve sees me standing on a road divider in Marina Bay or Orchard Road, desperately sweating and trying to work out the quickest way home as cars whizz dustily around me.

In the transition from last year to this one, I decided to keep things quiet and was lucky enough to be able to spend the time with much cherished friends in quiet, intimate settings.


My family doesn't celebrate Christmas, but since we were all together on Christmas morning, my brother, HS, decided to get a little fancy and make a delicious batch of banana pancakes.  For the second year running, Retno put a "Christmas fern" together and we ate while admiring her handiwork.  She even cut out and coloured little gingerbread men!


Mel invited me to her grandmother's place for Christmas Day lunch with her family, boyfriend, Nic, and their playful puppy, Kaiser.  I chased Kaiser round with my camera until he capitulated; thankfully, Mel and Nic weren't quite so evasive.


Mel bought me a heart-shaped Pandora charm for my bracelet, which I loved.  (I have yet to return the favour!)


After stuffing myself with shepherd's pie and devil curry, I met Jia Min in Orchard Road.  I would have ordinarily balked at the idea of going somewhere so central, but once I found out they had closed the main road to traffic, I was more than happy to dance back and forth across the five lanes.  We kept looking at each other in disbelief and saying, "We're walking on the road.  We're walking on THE ROAD."


Throw in overenthusiastic carol singers, earring shopping and Vietnamese food, and it was more or less the perfect day.

New Year was equally cosy; friends came over and we spent the evening doing nothing but eating junk food, making fun of Twilight and hugging each other over wine when the clock struck twelve.  Students texted me just after midnight, thanking and me and wishing me good cheer. 

We laughed.  A lot.  And just then, life felt easy.  


Now, of course, things occasionally get busy or stressful.  But twenty six days later, I can reach for the same feeling of peace and well-being when I close my eyes and I will hold on to it for as long as I can. 

I hope you are all having a happy year.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. :) I shall hold on to that feeling too!

    love,
    R

    ReplyDelete

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...