Saturday, December 21, 2013

Coffee with Rebecca, or, the most kick ass broccoli ever


When Rebecca and I first decided to start shooting together a couple of months ago, we bonded over our love for taking pictures of coffee.  It sounds insane but I love nothing more than photographing a lovingly-brewed cup of java and all the relaxation and "brunchiness" that it connotes.  I love the muted browns and beiges of a good latte and the way I can almost feel and smell the fragrance of the steam when I look at a picture.

It was fitting, then, that we chose to visit two coffee places for our maiden photo voyage.  Oddly enough though, the thing I remember best about the whole outing is the broccoli.  I know.  Never did I ever think that I would go to a restaurant or cafe and come out thinking, dayum, I need more broccoli in my life.  I love broccoli, but it's not something I ever think of as a starring dish.  


Anyroad, we started our day at Just Want Coffee and shared a latte and waffles with whipped cream and icecream.  When Rebecca suggested moving to a different table for better light and started kneeling on the chair to get her shot, I knew that she wouldn't mind all my nonsense and we spent a very happy half hour shooting and stuffing our faces.


The coffee was delicious, light and velvety with the crumbled biscotti.


We walked the waffles off on the way to Duxton to try the brew at the Department of Caffeine.  And after such a massive helping of sugar, we decided to share a savoury dish.  The lunch at Department of Caffeine is basically a plate that you can assemble yourself.  You choose either chicken or fish (or whatever the mains are that day, I imagine) and then side salads, which are dressed with various condiments.


We went for cold poached salmon with mustard sauce, chargrilled broccoli with a squeeze of lemon, macaroni salad and Mediterranean carrots with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.  And then we died and went to heaven.  The broccoli, with its slightly smoky florets and zingy, still-crunchy and firm stems, was lovely.

The coffee, though beautifully poured, felt a little too strong for us and instead, we licked our plate clean and then contemplated buying seconds.  When we finally dragged ourselves out of the cafe, we felt a little dazed.

"Was it me or was that broccoli really amazing?"  I asked Rebecca, as we stumbled through the afternoon sunshine.

"It was," she murmured, glazed and confused.  "It really, really was."

"People don't usually go to a cafe to eat broccoli."

"I know, Shus.  But I totally want some more."

It's been a couple of months now but we still fantasise about that broccoli regularly, to the point that I'm not sure if I've just dreamed it all and it wasn't actually that tasty.  Or if it even existed, like some overgrown green unicorn. 

Surely it's not normal to think about what is essentially a flowering cabbage this often.  But we definitely have plans to go back eventually.


My partner-in-crime demands it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...