Sunday, July 20, 2014

Europe Episode 3: Sacre-coeur


I have a whole bunch of photos of Montmartre lined up but I thought that first, I'd simply share some pictures of the Sacre-coeur to see if they could recall the way I felt.  Every time I see the basilica, its quaint, proud dome rising evenly over the green, I am surprised anew by how much I like it.

A few years ago, someone gave me a spiral bound notebook with the Sacre-coeur sketched on the cover.  I still have it, and when I look at it, I remember desperately wanting to seek out and visit the place.  Somehow, it remains unlike any big church I've seen - neither grand nor showy like Il Duomo di Firenze, or ancient and foreboding like the Notre Dame.  

This sacred heart is just that and each year, it continues to sit with its penny-tiled roofs and slender howling gargoyles, content to be itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...