Monday, December 17, 2012

The long weekend

I managed to have a bit of relax at last this weekend.


Because the 'rents are away, David came over to keep company and we held a swell movie marathon.  The choices were well-thought out and cleverly scheduled, even if I may say so myself.

We started with The Sting which was surprisingly more light and funny than I expected it to be, then went on to Persepolis because David is deeply interested in the Middle East.

And last, of course, my obligatory Christmas favourite: The Nightmare Before Christmas.  I watch it every single year and even have all the movements down.  It has delightful music, the stop-motion is charming and unusual and it is peppered with tiny jokes and amusements - perfect if you want something festive but not saccharine.

A few things I've learnt about a successful movie marathon:

1)  It's vital that everything isn't cloying since you're going to be watching for ages, from the combination of the movies to the snacks of choice.  Ours was a very sophisticated prawn keropok and spicy sauce.

2)  The order of the movies is as important as the movies you pick - it's important that the more difficult movies go first for prime concentration.

3)  It's good to get out of the house in the middle, particularly for a Starbucks Christmas Coffee run.

4)  A Lord of the Rings marathon does no one any favours.  I can't count the number of times I've stared my way through Helm's Deep.

5)  Choice of companion is also important.  You've both got to love ploughing through arthouse movies or have the same fondness for three hours of Schindler's List. 

6)  If you're going to be watching a movie marathon with me on the other hand, a tolerance for loud singing, violent arm movements and light conversation is essential.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say your peace, yo.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...